Carbon Monoxide Detector’s – Your Health and the Law

Posted on July 26, 2011 by tclowdus

As of July 1st, California Law requires all homes to have a carbon monoxide detector installed.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, 15,000 people per year are treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in the U.S., and approximately 500 of these poisonings result in death.

Carbon monoxide (CO) has been called the invisible killer because it is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, toxic gas.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is created when fossil fuel (natural gas) is partially burned. When fossil fuels are fully burned they create carbon dioxide which is safe to breath.

When we inhale carbon monoxide our bodies are fooled into thinking that it’s oxygen so our natural alert system, the gasp for air, is short-circuited. The lack of oxygen makes us drowsy with an unfortunate outcome.

One of the reasons the CO poisoning is on the rise is that new homes are built with high energy standards that there is very little air transfer between the inside of your home and  fresh air from the outside, so bad gases are trapped indoors.

For more information on how to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning visit the CAL FIRE website at www.fire.ca.gov.

You can purchase detectors at your nearby hardware store. The cost range is between  $20 to $75,